Sunday, March 9, 2008

Future run In Utah

Well, as I leave Utah for 3 weeks (yeah, I know) come this Saturday, I am unsure exactly when I will be able to get the run in that I had the pleasure of scoping out today. But I do know that when I do, it will be a doozy.

After doing a 12 miler this morning (on less sleep than I would have preferred; forgot about Daylight Savings) I was blessed with great temperatures and a gorgeous sunny sky. My car was begging me to go check out some potential runs in the area and who am I to argue with a talking car?

I had heard about Emigration Canyon, its trails and the like since I first moved to Utah. I figured there is no time like the present and hopped in Oksana (my car) to check it out.

Climbing up through the Canyon, I lamented being single. One can never truly check out the scenery while driving without risking becoming part of it. But what I could see what phenomenal.

When I got to a curve in the road which began to climb steeply, I knew I had to jump out and take a picture with my phone. Hardly the best quality but look at those mountains.



The hill you see behind me will be what I am initially climbing up, just to turn back around and go down. This is not a 100% accurate picture of what I will be running (I might make it closer to 15 miles) but it won't be far off.



Sometimes I wonder what the heck I am thinking. And then I remember, "Oh yeah. You do this simply because you can."

1 comment:

Bryon Powell said...

Dane,
You should have someone drop you off at the top of Big Mountain and run in to SLC from there. That's the route the Deseret News Marathon takes. To give you and idea of how fast that stretch is, it's still the sight of my all time PRs for 5 miles, 10 miles, and the half marathon... all set en route of the marathon!