Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Good work and Appropriate Kudos

Least important things first. Even though I still feel a little under the weather I had a pretty good track workout tonight as the weather gods in DC have gone stark raving made. 68 degrees, cloudy skies and a slight chill in the air? In AUGUST?!

One of the workouts one of my clubs suggested doing for the day was 8-10 800s with 400 meters rest. I am a fan of 800s. They hurt but they don't hurt for all that long, especially in dreamy running weather like tonight. So I was looking forward to them this evening and they did not disappoint me. I was not going to pushing them too hard but just hard enough to feel it. The time I settled on was 2:45 per 800 meter. My 8 splits went as follows: 2:43, 2:44, 2:45,2:45, 2:45, 2:44, 2:46, and 2:45. Like a metronome baby!


2. Great news from a local running friend Rob Toonkel. The 3rd youngest person to ever complete a marathon in all 50 states, Rob routinely churns out 3:20s-3:30s with little or no rest. Rather unassuming but with more info on marathons than most of us could hope to have (he passed 100 lifetime marathons earlier this year) Rob always entertains me with his insight when we meet.


So when I received a recap about his run in the Overlander Sports Yellowknife Marathon I knew something was as up. Rob rarely talks about his races. While he downplayed his stats by saying there were only 7 competitors in the marathon the simple fact remains Rob WON THE RACE! Yep, as I have always said, never apologize for who shows up, as you have no control over that aspect of the race. Rather, race those who show up and do your best. And Rob did. Few people deserve a win more than Rob. So here is my public kudos to him and his efforts.


3. One of the race competitors in the Drake Well Marathon, Dan Geier, had a simple request when I asked him what he wanted to be listed as: "Elora's Dad". I assumed he was simply a proud father. I was wrong.

In April 2006, Elora, Dan's daughter, lost her life after battling with Leukemia. To honor her life, Dan has set up, Elorapalooza, is a 5K Run/Walk on September 23, 2007. Raising funds in memory of Elora, the race distance was a favorite of Elora's who, in spite of always finishing long
after the other runners crossed the finish line enjoyed the 5k.


To learn more on how you can race or make a contribution, please click HERE.




4 comments:

Dave said...

I have to tell you. That picture of Elora is haunting me. It reminds me of my own loss and of how hopeless it can feel to be the parent of a truly sick child.

Thanks for sharing, Dane. If the race was closer, I'd run it.

Yellow Scuba said...

Congratulations to Rob on the victory!

I hope Elorapalooza has a great turn-out. I wish it was closer as well. I'm sure we can all donate regardless. :)

WalkSports.com said...

You brought tears to my eyes this morning. My daughter, who I've enjoyed a lot of incredible experiences with already, is 12 and started her first day of 7th grade yesterday.

Same as Dave re: "If the race was closer, I'd run it."

Anonymous said...

I would like to thank Dane for posting this on his site. I wrote him only to invite him to Elorapalooza 2. I am amazed that some of you wanted to contribute to our fundraising efforts and admit that we were not prepared for that. There is now a link on our website for donations. I will also investigate online donations and may put that on as well.
Thank you to those who have taken the time to write. A small part of Elora's story is now known to you. Consider the countless others who have lost the struggle or are going through it now. ( My sister, Sally, is currently receiving chemotherapy for lymphoma.) We feel fortunate to have found an outlet to lessen some of our grief.
Thanks for listening. Long may you run.......Elora's dad, Dan