Friday, June 25, 2010

The Summer of the Short Stuff

My intention to take a relative break from racing longer races and trying to diversify my sporting desires as well as try to kickstart what remains of the few fast-twitch muscles fibers which remain in my body (there weren't many to begin with) begins tonight with the Lunatic Triathlon in Price, UT. As I will be writing a recap about that very soon, there is no reason to go into much more about it right now.

But a plethora of half -marathons this summer and fall will be kicking off next week right here in my backyard with the Freedhom Half.


When you travel as much as I do, and virtually every weekend, you don't really look at the local racing schedule that much.  There really is no point in doing so since, well, you aren't going to be here.  But with an unprecedented amount of consecutive days in my homestead, I thought I might as well look around and see if there was anything local that looked good. Well, the Freedom Half looked great! 

First , the race runs through areas I am extremely familiar with utilizing a section of Salt Lake that a plethora of races do (and for good reason): Emigration Canyon.  The Canyon is a long gently sloping downhill with beautiful vistas on both sides and a wide shoulder for runners to traverse.  Following that, to even things out a bt after the downhill, a couple of risers after mile 6 allow runners to utilize some other muscles for a change.  Finally, ending at the State Capitol building in Salt Lake (a beautiful structure if you ignore, like with most political buildings, the goings-on inside) this promises to be a fun race. 


I also hope it is one where I can really see where I stand in shocking the system and ramping some speed back into my life.  Enough of this long, moderately slow stuff!  Now it is time for short and, ok, well, still moderately slow stuff.  Come on, I am not an Olympian!

Also in the mix, I will be doing a book signing at the packet pick-up at Dick's Sporting Goods at the Gateway Mall from 3-9 pm. This will be a great chance for me to get to meet all the local runners for a change.  I love meeting people from all over the country but it will extra special to mingle with those who run in the same neighborhoods that I do.

I can't think of many other better ways to kick off not only my Summer of the Short stuff but also the 4th of July weekend.  Hope to see you there!

No comments: