Thursday, March 27, 2014

Book Review: The Swashbuckler's Guide to Running Away from Dinosaurs



I read a lot.  Not nearly as much as I would like and not always things I am happy I spent time reading (like, for example, the steaming crap pile that is Ashley Hesseltine’s Huffpost article about being a pedantic annoying thief at the Georgia Half Marathon. No, I am not linking to it.) When I read something good I want to share it. Which is why I am telling you to get The Swashbuckler's Guide to Running Away from Dinosaurs by Sputnik.
 
Full disclosure: I am quoted in this book (on page 102-103, thank you very much.)  And my quote is one I am particularly proud of.  But I am quoted often and that means very little to me. So, know I am talking about this book in spite of my addition to it.

For the most part, if you know me, you know I can’t stand trite, flowery, everyone-is-a-winner sentiments. I know they sell well and I should just put out a 50 page book of those sayings and retire. But I can’t and it is not because I don’t like money and wouldn’t mind never having to ignore some idiot on twitter again. This is not to say Sputnik’s book is the things I described above.  It just could have been that and the fact it isn’t makes it great.

There are tons of quote in the book, interspersed with Sputnik’s own brief race recaps. It is not too heady, it doesn’t take long to read a passage and its brevity allows it to be picked up, read for a few minutes and then put down. But unlike other books filled with quotes, there are some really good ones in here outside of the typical rah-rah fare. Most are not the contrived drivel meant to be clickbait on Upworthy. Some I am absolutely going to be putting into my own words and stealing down the road.

I don't know if it is the Australian author and the well-known great attitude Aussies have but it permeates through the book. You owe it to yourself to grab yourself a copy. I only wish I got royalties.


No comments: