Monday, June 27, 2016

Know Your Worth

Here is one of my most recent "business interactions."

Person: Hey Dane, since you do what you do, how about the chance to do it for me, for free, on my website so I can draw attention to my website/races/magazine.  (I am paraphrasing this sentence only to be vague about the person and not call undue attention to them directly.) Here is a link with the details! (Link shows I would pay my own way to races, run them, report back to Person my thoughts and feelings on the race.)

Me: "Thanks, Person. I see no benefit for me in doing this."

Person: "Really? Why?"

Me: "Perhaps you can explain to me."

Person: "You run a lot of races and it would be cool to know what races (you have either fun (sic) of (sic) want to run) you think are the best. That's all."

Me: "Oh, of course. It would benefit anyone to have my take on the races. But, as I said, I don't see the benefit to me to do all that work and share it for no compensation."

Person: "Just forget Dane (sic). Good luck to you!"

Me: "By all means if I am missing something please convey it to me."

No response. But I guarantee you, this person feels I missed out on this opportunity to be an ambassador or what have you. Part of the problem with doing some relatively intangible line of work (e.g., speaking or writing) is that people think nothing of asking you to do it for free or next-to-nothing. This is one of the many reasons why this whole "ambassador program" is a bunch of hooey. Giving someone the pleasure of seeing their name next to a byline that is not their own blog is almost too much for some to handle. Throw in some socks, too, and Hellzapoppin, where and when do I start!?

I have created a brand through a decade of hard work and achievements, which means something. It might not mean the world and to some it might not mean anything. But I have said many times the greatest value is in knowing your worth. I know mine both monetarily and otherwise. Sure, you question it when someone of fairly decent status gives you the above exchange but when you know your website generates more attention than their collective series of work, you have to trust you know what you are doing.

Even if your relative value is not as great as another's, you must trust that what you have created does have worth. Do not give it away for free. Don't write for HuffPost for free. Don't do TED Talks for free. In a world where people share Netflix passwords and Costco cards, make people pay you what you are worth.

So, yeah I will "Just forget" and get paid for what I do.

No comments: