Friday, June 14, 2013

Million Dollar Marathon

I was recently asked to be involved in a cool adventure.  That part is not new.  I am lucky enough, and visible enough, to be asked to be parts of lots of cool adventures. Most of them however, conflict with something else I already have planned or are simply something I can't be a part of for a variety of reasons.  But every once in a while, things fall into place and I can jump on one of those opportunities.

Next weekend, I will be taking part in the Million Dollar Marathon. This 4000 mile jaunt across the country begins June 21st in Ocean Shores, WA.  The purpose of this run is simple. In the next year, nearly 600,000 people in America will die of cancer. The American Cancer Society has determined that one-third of these deaths are the result of poor diet and lack of exercise. The Million Dollar Marathon has been organized  by the group Above + Beyond Cancer to educate the public about this issue through an event that is inspirational and motivational. So many people are taking to the streets and trails to change their lives and outlooks on life and this is a way for those involved with the MDM to use their running to make a difference.


The group of people running across the country is made up of all those that cancer has touched. Survivors, caregivers, advocates, all working together to beat this disease. I too have lost family members and friends to this dreaded "c" word. So, I will journey up to Washington state and join this fantasic group of people on their third day of running starting at 4 a.m.

Read that again: 4 a.m.  If you know one thing about me it is that 4 a.m. is usually about an hour after I normally go to bed.  So that says something about how much this cause means to me. Without a doubt, fighting cancer is something which means a great deal to all of us.  It robs us of friends and family in some of the worst possible ways.

If you are looking to be part of the team as it runs through your neck of the woods, hop on over to the application page HERE. Combining your love for running with a worthwhile cause is one heck of a day to spend a day or two of your summer.

No comments: