Friday, May 25, 2007

One week

One week to go until my first 100 miler. One week until the unplanned experiment will reveal whether one can run 100 miles in under 20 hours without having run more than 21 miles in training.

Of course, as I have said, the vast majority of this year has been training of some sort. From the tough 50k to running on jetlag in Korea to dodging crowds in Frederick, I have been training for races. I doubt anyone else's training plan for this 100 consisted of doing 10 x 400 at the track 2 weeks before the race though!

I am geting excited. If you know me, you know I rarely get excited until an event happens. Why? Because the let down of something NOT happening far outweighs the excitement I may allow myself to have prior to its happening. So, I balance it out in order to stay even-keeled. Yet, for this race, I am getting excited. It is uncharted territory for me. I have run a 50 miler and have run for 12 hours before but nothing this long in distance or over this long of a period of time.

But I think my experiences have prepared me for it. I am eagar to see what I can do. My goal is to run under 20 hours. Everything else is gravy.

currently the weather for race day calls for the possiblity of rain. That isn't too bad. could make the trail running a little treacherous but what is wonderful is that it only says there will be a high of 72 degrees. Sweet fancy moses if that stays true I will be uber happy. If I could find the umlaut I would have put it over "uber' that is how happy I am with that forecast.

I have a 15 mile run tomorrow and Sunday. My last two runs of any siginifcant size. then it is coasting away until I head down to Woodstock. Look out OD 100!

4 comments:

Yellow Scuba said...

I know you will have a great race; a new adventure, without a doubt. I can't wait to see how it turns out! You're a fearless guy, Dane. :)

Amy said...

I'm excited for you!! I can't wait to hear about it afterwards!

1L said...

Wow, I didn't realize your 100 miler attempt was in 2 wks. You will do great - go get em, Dane.

Karsten said...

Wow, you're doing Old Dominion-- awesome!

I gave OD a shot back in 1997, but had to drop out at Elizabeth Furnace (75 miles). My biggest problem was with electrolyte imbalance. By about 40 miles or so I got depleted, and then the water started pooling up in my stomach. I think I had gained two pounds by the first checkpoint. And I couldn't really get much salt back in my system, because the organizers at the time did not "believe" in the use of salt or electrolyte replacement stuff, so almost none of the aid stations were stocked with such items. I think I took to panhandling from other people's crews at aid stations. :)

(I don't know if the OD organizers "believe" in salt now, but I do know that one of them who was running that year's race had to be taken to the hospital because of-- predictably-- kidney problems.)

So that kind of killed my race that year. I still haven't really figured out a solution for myself-- I still tend to sweat out too much salt and have trouble replacing it, even when using Succeed caps. Here's hoping that you don't have similar problems on Saturday!

And I hope to Vishnu for your sake that the weather forecast changes... The current NWS forecast for Saturday says: "A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a high near 90." Ick. I was just out in Woodstock this past weekend doing the 50 miler at the Old Dominion Memorial Run (sssssh, don't tell the organizers of the "old" OD that I did the "new" OD!), and it got up to 90° in the afternoon that day. Some people can handle heat, but I absolutely wilted for the last two hours of the 50.

Anyway, best of luck, and I'll keep you in mind while I'm out doing the Ridge Runner Marathon on Saturday! Enjoy the scenery-- the Fort Valley is really pretty. :)