Monday, May 21, 2007

Old Dominion 100

I have begun training for my 100 miler (the Old Dominion 100 Mile Run). It is in two weeks. Whoops.

Honestly, I do not feel like I am all that far behind. I mean, ideally, I would have started 3 months ago and logged hundreds of hard miles, running in dark, on rocky terrain, etc. But I have not done things ideally. That does not mean I am taking this race lightly either, mind you. If I did not feel I had done enough to run this race I would not endanger my health. Like with Fiddy2, I know what Iam capable of doing and time proves me right and then some.

This weekend, I ran 21 miles (my longest non-race run ever) on Saturday and 15 miles on Sunday. I wanted to do 20 miles on Sunday but I got bored and went home. I did not think the extra 5 miles would mean much at this juncture. You see, the reason I am not too worried abut my training is I think I have a higher base mileage than a majority of others based on not only last year but the races I have done this year. In addition, apparently I have also been blessed with the ability of quick recovery. So given my hard work from last year, the tough miles I have put in already this year in race conditions and genetics, I think I will be fine. Especially since I am doing everything I can to make sure I run a smart race.

I wish to do well and hopefully finish high but I also know all I want to do is “buckle”. For non-100 mile runners, this term refers to completing a race (usually of the 100 mile variety) in less than the prescribed time. In my case, it is 24 hours.

Having just had a friend complete the Massanutten Mountain Trails 100 where the time to buckle is 36 hours, I feel like my race will be a breeze. As long as the temps stay decent, I should be a-ok. My goal is to average 12 minute miles which will put me exactly at 20 hours for the day. IF I go one second fast I will have run 100 miles in one day (the race starts at 4 AM on Saturday morning). That is my main goal. The buckle part is something that I just assume will happen.

I could be wrong. I could be greatly overestimating my training and my skills. But I guess I will learn the hard way on that one. Let’s hope not.

Congrats to Nattu for his stellar finish yesterday. In his days leading up to the Badwater 135, he used this as a training run. Ridiculous huh? Way to go Nattu!

8 comments:

Runner NYC said...

What are you doing to run a smart race? Have you calculated the various paces you'll be running throughout the day? Do you have crew set up? I have no idea how to even begin preparing for a race of this magnitude and I'd love to hear your plans.

Dane said...

I have decided to run at a very conservative pace for at least the first 50 miles. I will hydrate properly. I have an experienced crew. I have read race reports. I have studied elevation charts.

Then again, in comparison to my friend, Nattu's planning I haven't even scratched the surface.

KK said...

"I got bored and went home." -- That cracked me up!

It's very odd to think of you running 12-minute miles.

Can't wait to see your buckle.

runamok said...

The most important thing you will not be used to from marathoning is you MUST eat. 100 miles is around 12,000 calories. I'd say you should practice eating junk food, taking salt pills (exceed caps I think they are called... look online) and running with a water bottle(s). Also have a change of shoes and socks by half way. I ran 37 6 weeks after my motorcycle accident and it was no big deal.

good luck bro!
hyper mike

Dane said...

KMK-

I did. I could have made a left and added 4 miles by hitting the Teddy Roosevelt Island or right to go home. I made the right!

Mike-
Have run with a fuel belt the past two weeks but am switching to a 70oz Camelback this weekend. Food is planned out as is a change of shoes.

Yellow Scuba said...

I hear you have an incredible crew, so you'll have a fantastic race, no doubt! Nattu told me that the key to your success is to do everything your crew tells you to do, especially when it comes to eating. Simple plan! :)

Amy said...

Good luck! That is awesome that you are si confident with your running that you can run this race with minimal training. I can only hope to reach tht level of fitness someday.

I can't wait to hear what the outcome of the race will be!

Dane said...

Thank you Amy!

One of the points I was trying to make is that, realistically, I did not do minimal training. I just did minimal training for this specific race. I would never take a race like this lightly.