Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Legacy Duathlon


With my most recent foray into a relatively new line of racing last weekend at the Sand Hollow Aquatic Center Sprint tri (recap posted later this week) I found that besides the obvious needing to get into shape for three different disciplines, that I also really need to work on the transitions between those disciplines. Really badly.

My racing schedule fills up quickly.  I found myself today thinking about how much it stinks that, for the most part, there are not races on Wednesday, or Tuesday or any other day that isn’t a weekend.  I want more opportunities to race.  But there are only 52 of those a year and I have to make do. 

Having said that, I realize there is balance and I do try my very best to have a life outside of those 52 weekends of potential racing.  I do like to possibly keep a weekend to myself, down the line, reserved just for moi.. However, with an Olympic distance triathlon coming up at the extremely competitive St. Anthony’s tri in St. Petersburg in less than a month, I knew I needed a race in between to work on those transitions mentioned above. With my first open weekend of the entire year the weekend prior, I knew I needed to take advantage of this small window.  As such, I am not only competing in but will also be one of the sponsors of the 2ndAnnual Legacy Duathlon right here in Salt Lake City on April 23rd.


A duathlon consisting of a 5k run, 36k bike and another 5k run, the Legacy Duathlon is just one of a whole series of races put on by OnHill events, a Bountiful, UT-based organization specializing in putting on great events in the greater SLC area.  I have the great misfortune of being unable to attend many of them because of prior commitments this year but am 100% excited to be taking on the Legacy Duathlon. This race  kicks off the On Hill events racing schedule for 2011 and will be my first duathlon ever.

The Legacy Duathlon could not be run, like all races, without the help of volunteers.  As such, if you are looking for a great opportunity to see the inner workings of a duathlon (and get a free t-shirt!) please go to the link HERE and volunteer.  At the very least you will be able to point and laugh at me as my feet get caught in clipped-on shoes as I try to make my transitions just a wee bit better.

See you there!

No comments: