Thursday, February 11, 2010

Back in the Saddle

Sometimes life doesn't go your way.  Actually, many times it doesn't go your way.  But, the measure of a man is not the ability to transform yourself from a silly-looking but good singing guy into a slightly-less silly-looking but good signing guy (sorry, Clay Aiken.)  Rather, it is what you do when life gives you that kick to the nether regions.

When the Rocky Raccoon 50 Mile was aborted at mile 33 for me because of lingering issues from the stomach flu I had earlier in that week, I immediately went into planning mode.  I had one weekend open to fit in a 50 mile race to keep with my schedule as I build up to my 204 mile solo running of the American Odyssey Relay. After a great deal of planning and shifting around of schedules, I registered for the Iron Horse Endurance Runs in Florahome, FL.





I wasn't sure if this was the right idea to try and go for another 50 mile race less than one week after the other failed attempt, but I knew we often regret very little we do and much more of what we do not attempt. So, I booked the travel, finagled with hotels and find myself in the greater Jacksonville, Florida area.


Ironic that this was originally going to be a do-nothing weekend.  But if you want to measure up to Clay you have to roll with the punches.

No comments: