Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Well worth it.

* Bloody ankles.

* Sore body parts.

* Chafed upper buttocks ( I have no idea how that one happened, by the way).

* Lost luggage.

* People who don't realize they can walk on moving sidewalks, escalators or at least get out of the way of those who want to do so.

All made irrelevent when you receive emails from people who you helped get their first Boston qualifying time like the one below:

Dane I just wanted to say thank you for everything you did during the Fargo Marathon for your pace group. I was part of “the pack” from about mile 2 to the very end. When I crossed that finish line and earned the chance to run the Boston Marathon I was absolutely floored by the emotion. It was my 3rd marathon overall, my first qualifying time, and I don’t think any experience will ever top this. I am planning on running Boston next spring and I don’t know if that would have been possible without all of the support, advice and energy you gave to the runners around you. 

 I had never been a part of a pace group before and I will never forget the experience of crossing that line under 3:10, knowing what it meant to me, and seeing and congratulating other members of the pack on completing their goals at the same time. I assume you must get hundreds of emails from runners thanking you for the inspiration, advice, encouragement…etc that you give them – but this truly was 3 hours and 10 minutes I will never forget and I wanted to thank you.  

PS – thank you so very much for the 3:10 pacer sign as well – That will definitely be a part of my Boston memorabilia after I go. Take care and run fast and safe. Brian Voeller

1 comment:

Yellow Scuba said...

These are always great to read. Congratulations to Brian!