Tuesday, August 25, 2009

POM Wonderful

One of the byproducts of being laid up from running is that I can finally get around to speaking about some of the products that I have tried recently. First on that list is POM Wonderful.

First and absolutely foremost, ANY product which is fun and audacious enough to have a flash-type animation of its product talk about my prostate, gets at least a second look.


I am sure you have all seen the POM bottles out there. Sold in distinctive double bulb-shaped clear plastic bottles, they are hard to miss. And when I received a sample of the product with its health benefits talking not only about how it will help problems not only with the prostate but also erectile dysfunction, I was curious if I was supposed to drink this stuff or just pour it directly on my nether-regions.

I am skeptical of most products. When told I need to do something to run faster or do better, I simply point to how I have not done any of those things and continue to run faster and do better in spite of a vast volume of marathons in a short period of time (which I, ironically, was told would be detrimental to my running faster or doing better.) However, regardless of what POM would do to my boy parts, I knew it was high in antioxidants, and even with as little research I have done into eating healthy (a former girlfriend pointed out I mostly eat like a 5th grader), I know that antioxidants are good for you. Just what the doctor ordered, right POM?

You can read all you want about POM's research and clinical references on your own time. I am not hear to dispute or confirm any of those. And unfortunately, because I am not running it is a little hard for me to tell whether POM is making me feel better or heal more quickly or run faster. However, I can say that the stuff tastes pretty darn good (if maybe just a tad too sharp for my 5th grade eating habit tongue) and if it is made of 100% pomegranate juice, then it must be good for you as well.

A little sidenote I was not aware of: The "wonderful" part is not just arrogance on POM's part. apparently, there is a variety of pomegranate that is called "wonderful" not unlike "concord" grape juice. Hmmm. Will it cure cancer? I have no idea. Does it have a nice bitey taste to it and is jammed full of all the things your body needs? I would have to say yes!

Maybe POM does deserve its cape.

No comments: