Friday, May 21, 2010

Napa-to-Sonoma Wine Country Half Marathon

A few years ago, I took the dive away from the corporate world and into the unknown.  I knew I wanted to have my life revolve around athletics and motivating others to do the same but wasn't sure how to go about that.  I had a plane voucher that had to be used, having been bumped from a flight back in the 52 Marathon excursion.  I had always wanted to go to Zihuatanejo, Mexico, simply because I was hoping to see both Andy and Red there.

If you didn't get that reference, well...google.

Unfortunately, the voucher expired before I could make the return trip to home from Zihuatanejo.  So I had to choose another exotic locale.  Mazatlan it was!  I was hoping the complete removal of myself from what I had known for the past four years and taking a trip to somewhere I had never been before would clear my head and help me get a fresh start.  

I fought with sand crabs.
Got pummeled by waves.
Chastised reptiles.
 And actually did some work.  Poolside.  Next to the ocean.  Wi-fi rocks.


The work I was doing was a little freelance work for a company which puts on a series of destination half-marathons, called, interestingly enough, Destination Races.  Well, things have come full-circle and in July I will be not only running one of their races, the Napa-to-Sonoma Wine Country Half Marathon, I will be participating in their Speakers Seminar series as well.


As I crawl my way back to a different type of being in shape, after building up my body to handle the rigors of  the AOR 202, one of the things I wanted to do was take part in more half-marathons.  I have always loved the distance but have done just a handful of them.  So it is with great pleasure that I am able to work with Destination Races and help promote this great series.  

I mean, heck, if Valerie Bertinelli is there, why aren't you?


3 comments:

Yellow Scuba said...

Have a great time with the race and the speaking, D.

mrowley7 said...

Awesome Dane. I'm going to be running that race also and will make sure to be there to hear you speak (and get a book!)
--Michelle
http://myreason2run.wordpress.com

George said...

Shawshank is easily one of my favorite movies and I would love to visit Zihuatanejo as well.